New Trainwreck Inspired 2 channel amp

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Re: New Trainwreck Inspired 2 channel amp

Post by UR12 »

TheGimp wrote:Just be careful as they derate rapidly with temp (starting at 25°C). They are excellent for switching B+ to peramp stages, but you wouldn't want to try switching 150mA with them inside a amp chassis. You could parallel the two outputs with equalization resistors to increase the reliability/current capacity though.
If you need to sink more current you can just use these to control a bigger pass transistor
MCK

Post by MCK »

Hi Dana, wondering if you might offer this amp as a baked product (a la Lil' Devil) on your web site as opposed to one off builds on demand. Seems like it is a significant move forward from the core designs and it fills a great niche void in the market IMHO. Might be wrong of course but I don't think there is any comparable offering as of today. Good luck with it either way you decide to go.
mick

Post by mick »

Thanks Dana, did you ever do a final schematic with the changes to the switching ? am I right in thinking the gut shot's on page 6 of this thread are the insides of this amp ? if so the pcb for the footswitch what is the larger chip on that board ?. With the information you've given me I think I understand why searching for switching with mosfets was not giving me any useable info, the part number you stated comes under the category of solid state relays, one last question when you say a discrete mosfet could you please give me a part number as some form of reference as I have no idea what type of mosfet to look for.

Thanks Mick
UR12

Post by UR12 »

mick wrote:Thanks Dana, did you ever do a final schematic with the changes to the switching ? am I right in thinking the gut shot's on page 6 of this thread are the insides of this amp ? if so the pcb for the footswitch what is the larger chip on that board ?. With the information you've given me I think I understand why searching for switching with mosfets was not giving me any useable info, the part number you stated comes under the category of solid state relays, one last question when you say a discrete mosfet could you please give me a part number as some form of reference as I have no idea what type of mosfet to look for.

Thanks Mick
Yes the pics on page 6 are the guts of the last one of these I built and the one in the studio recording I just posted on page 8. The larger chip on the board is a lm7404 hex inverter. I am using it to toggle between the two mosfets inside the SSR chip. The only reason I am using that chip is because I have about 100 of them from another project I use to build. You could use any Hex Inverter chip to do the same thing. You could also use something like a CD4049 if you wanted. If you are just looking for a small signal mosfet I have had good luck with the 2n7000.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Hi Dana, wondering if you might offer this amp as a baked product (a la Lil' Devil) on your web site as opposed to one off builds on demand. Seems like it is a significant move forward from the core designs and it fills a great niche void in the market IMHO. Might be wrong of course but I don't think there is any comparable offering as of today. Good luck with it either way you decide to go.
Not sure what you mean by Baked product. Are you talking about a miniaturized version like the Lil Devil or just adding the amp to our list of products? I have at least one more chassis for these amps laying around and would be happy to build one for anyone who would like one. They aren't cheap though. To date I have only built two and both the local owners love the amp and Gig with them every weekend.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Sorry I was not clear. It would of course be very interesting to see a Lil' Devil like product and I certainly would buy one of those. What I was meaning above was more towards taking the 2 amps you built to a more widely available level and advertising them as a ready to order product on your web page. You would still build on demand of course but making it available for orders beyond the amp garage could bring in some good business. Just a thought. Your call of course.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Sorry I was not clear. It would of course be very interesting to see a Lil' Devil like product and I certainly would buy one of those. What I was meaning above was more towards taking the 2 amps you built to a more widely available level and advertising them as a ready to order product on your web page. You would still build on demand of course but making it available for orders beyond the amp garage could bring in some good business. Just a thought. Your call of course.
Ah, Thanks for the comments. I need to get a few things done before I can get set up to start churning them out. The last two have been hand built and time consuming and I am looking into getting some laser cut, computer bent chassis done for the amp. It's kind of like tooling up :lol: I need to get some Autocad drawings done to control the laser and brake. I will be switchin this amp over to a PCB version to cut down on build time. All tubes will be chassis mounted but I still need to finish the the PCB designs. It just takes time :wink: And then there is the 4 6V6 version that we haven't built yet.
mick

Post by mick »

Dana once again thank you, you reply faster than I can get to the computer to check the forum out, I'll leave anymore questions for now as I think I should start a new thread to find out more about the pro's and con's of different type's of switching, but I'll not be getting to that project for a while so I'll wait till nearer the time.

Thanks again
Mick
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I just a copy of the remix for the clip I posted on page 8. It has had some guitar changes on it and is a little closer to the final version. I need to talk to the guitarist in regards to channel settings and where he had the power control set at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Not trying to resurrect this thread but thought some of you may enjoy this. This amp is still kicking after 4 years and I got a chance to record it live. My band was playing a local club with a couple of other bands. The guitarist from the other band is the owner of the Red Pegasus amp pictured in this thread. It can be seen in the pic on the right. He let my guitarist use it for the show and a chance to record it live. This was recorded by a zoom recorder at the back of the room near the FOH console. About 60 ft from the stage. Lots of room in the recording but I think it shows how the amp sounds in a live mix.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~jdhall/S ... dhouse.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Great recording. Thanks for sharing. Time to resurrect the thread why not!
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Wasn't this the amp your son had? I believe I remember you talking about it during band practice.

Its Austin
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Austin, the amp was built and sold to Matt Parkins who plays in my sons band. It was delivered to Matt in 2010 and has been used on their latest album to be released soon. The guitarist in my band, James Elswick, was able to use it during our show at the Vclub in Huntington, WV on 11/29 where the recording was made.
donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Dana,

Sounds great (then, and now)...can you tell me where James had the volume set to get this level of breakup (and if he had the VVR engaged, about what level of cut).

And while I'm at it, is he using the Liverpool side for the rhythm stuff, then the rocket for lead or the other way 'round.

In any case, being a guy who is playing out at least every other weekend, I am way impressed with this tone...I hope my amps will come close to this as time goes on!
https://www.facebook.com/trialbyfirerocks

Be sure your tinfoil hat has a good low impedance ground.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Ah I remember. The tone of the amp is amazing.