If SoZo was... Ken would have use it ?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

overtone

Re: If SoZo was... Ken would have use it ?

Post by overtone »

Thanks Mark,
would my nerdy side be right in assuming that these are not "metalized", at least at 600V dc?
I checked the data sheet, but could find no mention of it anywhere.
Best, tony
DaveWell

Used Mallory-CDE PVC orange drop caps

Post by DaveWell »

Thank's Mark !

I taught it was the 716P serie...
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

the mallory caps ken used were of the polyester film type, not melalized
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If you need those Mallory-CDE PVC caps rjguitars had a large quantity of them and he might be selling them not sure. I sold all mine and I use Mojotone caps for TW builds currently.

Mark
overtone

Post by overtone »

Thanks funkmeblue and Mark.
I still have one set from RJ and have mostly been using old German 60's production polyester/foils.
Best, tony
bluefireamps

Post by bluefireamps »

The Sozo's are film amd foil. The 150's are metallized polyester. The leads on the Sozo's are much longer and thicker than the 150's. The physical size of the Sozo's is larger than the 150's even though the Sozo's are 400V and the 150's are 630V. I have taken apart a couple of Sozo's and they are what they are. Film and foil. Not 150's. I am not affiliated with Sozo in any way and have used many, many caps including the two mentioned. I think this is just internet chum.
Dave
Tube Powered
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yeah, I have seen them both with their gut hanging out on purpose too. Not the same.. funny though. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Sozo's and 150's are a bit dark for 'wrecks.
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

sozo's are not 150's...that said the sozos sound alot more like 150's then they do the mustards they are saying they sound like... i haven't tried the higher end "handmade" ones though...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Current production Zwrecks are using using mostly M150's since materials to make the OD caps is unobtainable per the manufacturer.

I use mojotone Dijon caps in most amps now days. The M150's works quite well also.

As far as M150 being Sozo just repeating what Dr Z noted on his forum and I figure since he is a top amp builder he might know a few things?
rp

Post by rp »

M Fowler wrote:Current production Zwrecks are using using mostly M150's since materials to make the OD caps is unobtainable per the manufacturer.
Does this mean that CE Dist who bought SBE will not be making the polyester ones (6PS, 225PX) anymore? Or will it be a new formula?? What part of mylar film and aluminum foil is unobtainable, is mylar bad stuff? [/quote]
I use mojotone Dijon caps in most amps now days. The M150's works quite well also.
I read on the web (oh my!) that these are actually polypropylene film and foil not polyester - as would be a proper mustard repo. But it's the web so who knows. But if polypro then they might be 715ish. Anyone?
As far as M150 being Sozo just repeating what Dr Z noted on his forum and I figure since he is a top amp builder he might know a few things?
Folks, even if these aren't exactly M150s I'm sure the regulars are sourced overseas from a big maker, I really doubt Sozo opened their own Chinese factory. They must be rebranded somethings, if not you could bet Sozo would be hyping their awesome exclusive origin with some facts. Where there's vagueness and mumbo-jumbo there is BS.

***BTW I never cut into a real mustard (never had a bad one) are they film and foil or metalized? As they are small I'd say metalized. Anyone?

BTW how do you fiends unwind these things??? I tried cracking open some old red and black moldeds - black cats, pyramids, little chiefs (sounds like firecrackers) and those old fuckers where build SOLID. I gave up before I hacked off a finger.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Pull the lead out on the banded side then shave back the coating a bit at a time from that end. Find the end of the roll and cut along the tail.

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Some gored caps for those of you who like that sort of thing...
http://mhuss.com/Capacitors/
bluefireamps

Post by bluefireamps »

http://mhuss.com/Capacitors/

Here's a link with some dissected caps including a vintage mustard. FWIW.
Dave

Here's the other link I was thinking about that also shows a Sozo taken apart.

http://www.marshallheads.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1127
Tube Powered
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Good info on caps thanks.

I also forgot to mention that the basic yellow caps sold by many places I've used in different builds and sound great as well they are polyester. Used in my cage amp 5b6 with good review by current owner for pedal steel guitar use.

Mark