rockster tonestack question

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

johndandry

rockster tonestack question

Post by johndandry »

On the schematic for the Rockster 66, one end of the bass pot is grounded but on the layout I found, the bass pot has no ground connection. Which is the best way or correct way?
dorrisant

Re: rockster tonestack question

Post by dorrisant »

I would connect it to ground... I may be wrong but it has to have that ground to affect the tone. Either way, it won't blow up. Hope that helps.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

does the Rockster have a mid control? If so, then the bass pot is not grounded. Its 3rd tab is connected to the wiper of the mid pot. The mid pot is then grounded. Just a guess. :-)
I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Ignore the reverb...

I installed a mid pot... note that the schematic below shows this, the layout does not. Sorry I do not have both layouts. These drawings should help though.

I connected the mid pot to the 5k limiting resistor then to the bass pot and from there to ground. I could have just as easily connected the ground to the mid pot. Not to confuse but either way yields the same result.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

Yeah those two files are inconsistant with each other. Take a look at the Express schematic in the files section, and how the pots are wired. Wire up the tonestack like that. Perhaps there other tonestacks I know not of--and perhaps RJ is doing something this hookup that's really cool; but the one you seem to be attempting needs it ground in only one place...and that's after the mid pot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Rawnster,

I think rj started the Rockster with the Rocket schem and just added the mid pot. Without the mid pot you would likely ground the bass pot.
Not trying to argue with you at all... just offering reason for the discrepancies between drawings and why the TS was grounded that way. It just kind of progressed that way as a mod. rj and I were working together to try to come up with a good set of drawings for the Rockster Reverb a while back. I didn't worry that the layout had no mid pot.
Please take no offense... :)

Tony
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

Oh, no worries Tony. I just thought if johndandry added a mid pot, then don't ground the bass pot. RJ's discrepancy is a simple mistake. I've built many variants that are similar to the Rockster. All of which have a mid control. Just adds a bit more variety to the Rocket tone. And none of them have the bass pot grounded.
Richie

Post by Richie »

you might also read this for some info about the grounded/non grounded pot.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/ ... pboost.pdf