Started New Express build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Started New Express build

Post by M Fowler »

On this Express I'm going with Martin Manning's version using an eyelet board 4.5" x 12" like rj's PCB board.

I'm going to use Magnetic Components Express PT/OT on this one. Also, $17 blank ebay chassis and $100 ebay cherry cabinet. Going cheap route but not cheap in tone.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Started New Express build

Post by xtian »

Nice, Mark. I'm right behind you. Please tell me where to find large-enough blanks of fiberglass.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Found this: .078" 12.00" X 24.00" $19.21

http://g10fr4.com/g10_fr4_sheet_material.html

Are you using 2mm sheet?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think I got this board from Turretboards.com but McMaster would be a good place to shop as well and order in long cuts.

Mine is 1/8" so 0.125 (4.5" x 12") or buy longer and cut to suit.

Mark
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

That is a different layout, nice to see.
Is the cab in the picture the one you call the "100 dollar cherry" cab from Ebay.?
Thanks
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

That'll put a smile on your face Mark.
It works well taming the Liverpool a tad, so I've got to believe it'll make an Express more manageable.
Standard circuit / tone stack ?
Are you thinking master/vvr ?
Looks great !
Why Aye Man
xtian

Post by xtian »

M Fowler wrote:I think I got this board from Turretboards.com but McMaster would be a good place to shop as well and order in long cuts.

So do 3mm turrets work on this?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

hired hand wrote:That is a different layout, nice to see.
Is the cab in the picture the one you call the "100 dollar cherry" cab from Ebay.?
Thanks
No it's not the Cherry cab :) I'll post photo later.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

xtian wrote:
M Fowler wrote:I think I got this board from Turretboards.com but McMaster would be a good place to shop as well and order in long cuts.

So do 3mm turrets work on this?
The 3mm turrets are the longer version so I would think that is the correct size for 1/8 garolite and 2mm for 1/16 garolite.

Maybe others will speak up.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Bob S wrote:That'll put a smile on your face Mark.
It works well taming the Liverpool a tad, so I've got to believe it'll make an Express more manageable.
Standard circuit / tone stack ?
Are you thinking master/vvr ?
Looks great !
Bob I'm thinking of going with exactly what Martin did presonance, cut and MV. Standard tone stack with 33k grid V1 and 820R grid.

The PCB I built with rj's board worked very well I liked that amp so I'm sure this one will be stable as well.

Mark
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

M Fowler wrote:
hired hand wrote:That is a different layout, nice to see.
Thanks
No it's not the Cherry cab :) I'll post photo later.

Mark
10-4
The reason I ask is that I payed 75 bux (a good price for a well made cab) for a Poplar cab that i had to paint, of course.
Not sure I will ever be able to sell a build with my name on it, but a "real" head cab might give me a fighting chance. :)
Thanks
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looking good Mark, nice to see another build using this layout! I went back to the old-school presence on my Express because the presonance whistled at some extreme settings. I liked the tones, though. It will work either way, and it's easy to switch over, as described at the end of the thread on that amp. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 761#209761 I could not be without the PPIMV and cut.

I got my last G-10 board from McMaster, a 12"x24" piece... that's how the eyelet board in the amp got to be 12" long ;^)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

martin manning wrote:I went back to the old-school presence on my Express because the presonance whistled at some extreme settings. I liked the tones, though.
Martin, did you notice a change in the gain or overall sound/feel of the amp going to the older presence circuit? I recently compared the 5k/0.1uF old school method to the newer school 4k7 || 0.1uF->25kB presence in a modded Marshall type build and found I liked the 4k7 sound better. For my Express build I plan to use the traditional circuit as it will be a 'purist' build.

Thanks,
Dave
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hi Dave,
On the "bright" end the old-school presence (where the 5k pot is the tail, and the 0.1u goes from the wiper to ground) and the Presonance sound very similar. I really haven't compared the old-school and new-school directly, which would be interesting. I can see from looking at traces in a sim that they differ in the shape of the roll-off as the controll is swept. I went with the old-school on my 2204-ISH amp, 'cause Jana said to. I tend to set any presence up around 9 and leave it there, though.