Heyboer & Pacifc - Transformer Vibration & Hum in a

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

eazilyled

Re: Heyboer & Pacifc - Transformer Vibration & Hum in a

Post by eazilyled »

I have a little mechanical vibration / hum in my Heyboer PT but it's not enough to bother me.

I suppose you could post up a recording of the problem to see what people think. If you include some talking from yourself on the recording whilst standing near to the amp it will give a rough reference point, i.e. how loud the hum is in relation to a speaking voice.
plook

Post by plook »

Send them back and save yourself the anguish.
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

I have not used the transformers in an amp yet. I was wanting to have a couple done by the end of the week because I am building them for a friend who is going into the studio for his new album. I was laying out the transformers when I discovered the noise. They are noisier than any other pt I have used. This is the first time I am using the stancor smaller core stand up type... Does this just come with the territory?

It just stinks because I had them special wind several for over 100$ each and they all have the vibration noise.

Phil said they have had noise from loose flux bands but that is not it. I also got a 5199 tw pt that he tested unloaded and said was silent but it has the same vibration noise as the special winds. I thought "we'll maybe that's just how these are and I need to live with it" but now that I am actually getting ready to use them in a build I don't know if I can do it.

I tried recording a sound clip of the noise with my phone but don't know how to upload it
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

Hey Plook, that's what I will most likely end up doing. I just really wanted to finish the amps this week. Bummer!
Koop

Post by Koop »

Interesting thread, thanks for reviving it. The Edcor in my Express has a vibration. When I power up on Standby, I can hear the vibration coming from the amp cabinet (not the speaker cab). I planned on tightening the fasteners on the transformers but it appears as though that's just wishful thinking. The sound doesn't seem to amplify through the speaker cab, I'm unaware of it while playing so I'll probably leave it alone.
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

I just want to say that Phil over at Heyboer is a great guy and has been super helpful in dealing with the transformer vibration issues I've been experiencing.

This is the first time I have used these smaller core stancor type trainwreck power transformers. In everything I have built before I had fender style lay down type with twin and bassman/super size cores and they have all been silent. The bassman/super PT is the next core size up from the TW. It seems that having short turns because of size and high current rating (300mA ht and 7.5A filament) results in more vibration and noise. I'm sure some are better than others but in my case I didn't feel comfortable using them. This amp is a combo and is going pretty much straight into the studio and I want it to be dead quiet.

Before this I hadn't even thought of transformer vibration being an issue right out of the box.... Maybe on the odd bad wind or on an old pull. So from now on I will be going with the larger size core if I need the higher Ampere rated winds.