Airbrake - What's the difference?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Picker

Airbrake - What's the difference?

Post by Picker »

I'm getting ready to put together an airbrake and have read the various threads. I'm trying to understand the difference between the three models.. Airbrake I, Airbrake II and Airbrake III and what the advantages are.

There are several different post some with rheostat some not, and I can't quite figure what the difference between them. I was able to find the schmatics etc that were posted, but what's to choose from? Should I just go with the Airbrake III and call it a day?

thanks
Picker

Re: Airbrake - What's the difference?

Post by Picker »

Still looking for an answer to this. I'm getting ready to build one, and I'm not sure which would be the best path to follow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

What is you want out of an Airbrake? That will answer your question.

If you want it authentic or with the most features. They all do the same basic thing. absorb power and lower the volume.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

^ This!

Adding the wire-wound rheostat brings your output down to "bedroom" levels with a slight roll-off of higher frequencies. It is a fairly expensive part
& that may be why some chose to omit it. I don't mind the perceived roll-off.
Plus I had one in my parts bin already. YMMV!

I think venting the enclosure for heat dissipation is more of a concern in the end. Those wire wounds on stand-offs generate some BTUs!

It seems everything in a tube amp is matter of trade-offs and balances in the final summing of all the tweaks and compromises. I ended up installing a
DC fan [approx. 2" X 2"] to draw out the heat more efficiently. I don't use the pot all that much because it's a little too quiet for my needs. I don't have children or uppity neighbors I need to appease.

Post some pictures when you finish building yours, OK? Cheers!

Noel Grassy.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza