Am I about to blow up my cab?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MooreCowbelle

Am I about to blow up my cab?

Post by MooreCowbelle »

Folks,
I just realized something - I'm not sure if my cab will handle the wattage from the Express that I am working on.

I have a 2x12 cab with a V30 and a G12H-30. I can switch between 4ohm and 16ohm, and I usually run it in 4ohm configuration. From the specs, the V30 handles 60 watts, and the G12H-30 is rated for 30 watts. If I run these in parallel, I should be able to handle 90 watts, correct? Or is my limited grasp of Ohm's law fooling me again?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by MooreCowbelle on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loverocker

Re: Am I about to blow up my cab?

Post by loverocker »

No, your cab is limited to 60W maximum. Because the moment you try 61W, you're putting 30.5W through the 30W speaker.

With dissimilar speakers, there's even more of a grey area due to the probability of different impedance curves - meaning that at some freqs, one speaker may have a lower impedance than the other and therefore cause the speakers to output unequal amounts of power.

So, it's not really safe to assume 60W is OK, although I think most guys would think it's close enough for rock and roll :)
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
MooreCowbelle

Post by MooreCowbelle »

OK, that makes sense...

but will it handle a 'wreck? :?:

Moose's OT is rated at a "conservative 35 watts"...what exactly does that mean in terms of expected wattage output with the volume cranked? Could it go as high as 60 watts?
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Imo, your cabinet is a good match.

With the toneslut PT, output power is limited by B+ and that's supposed to be about 30W clean, so if you square-waved the output you'd be at 60 watts, but you can't really do that or sustain it from a guitar...keyboard or function generator, yes.

Outside of going deaf, if your luck was very bad and both speakers were marginally defective -- your G12H30 would get a voice coil rub.
MooreCowbelle

Post by MooreCowbelle »

Thanks - good info!

I'll sleep better tonight. :D
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

MooreCowbelle wrote:OK, that makes sense...

but will it handle a 'wreck? :?:

Moose's OT is rated at a "conservative 35 watts"...what exactly does that mean in terms of expected wattage output with the volume cranked? Could it go as high as 60 watts?
In short, yes!

I run my 'wreck clone every now and then through my 2x12 cab with (1) Blue and (1) G12H30. Works great and no blown speakers yet.

-Rich
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

A g12h30 will take more than 30watts. Phil