KF Memorial Amp Clips

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

riscado

Re: KF Memorial Amp Clips

Post by riscado »

Ahh thanks for pointing out, I remember reading that several of you were involved, but that one had assembled the amp, I didn't recall it was Dana, in that case congrats Dana for building the amp and to all of you guys (Allyn and everyone else) for the great job.

Seriously it sound superb and it obviously impressed Glen.

I know it impressed me.

Thanks
Humbucker

Post by Humbucker »

Ooooh I like that ballsy bell-like sound...and the gut-wrenching grind, of course!
Oldie newbie.
57gold

Glenn, what tubes?

Post by 57gold »

I believe that the Express circuit is very tube sensitive.

Had chats with KF about the subject as I checked in to see where I was on waiting list and when I got K60 #8. He shared that NOS Mullards and a specially selected Tele or Bugle Boy in V1 were the way to voice his amps.

You may recall that the initial LTD/Concordes in wood had NOS options and were highly recommended to get most out of amps. Pinkstrat had his K60 tweaked by Ken, one changed resistor value that increased gain slightly (broke up 10% earlier on dial) and a selected Tele for V1.

I'm guessing the amp had Tungsrams 12AX7s and Seimens EL 34s; on the bright side. KF used them, he bought them cheap and swapped them in until he got what he was after.

Putting a Mullard Shield logo in V1 will tame the high end and give the midrange more body. Also think that amps need a good, long burn in so the parts "learn" how to work together, lossen up and make music. The Komets start out very bright and add depth and complexity over years of play.

Clips sound great, missed you at FL Tonefest.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

geetarpicker wrote: So, that said the tone is there albiet with odd knobs settings.
Glen,
As you have played more than one KF Trainwreck, did you find you had to set the controls differently on different 'Wrecks, as well?
Thanks for all your efforts for this forum :!:
Two thumbs-up to Dana and all those who contributed :D Ken would be PROUD 8)
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
UR12

Re: Glenn, what tubes?

Post by UR12 »

57gold wrote:I believe that the Express circuit is very tube sensitive.

Had chats with KF about the subject as I checked in to see where I was on waiting list and when I got K60 #8. He shared that NOS Mullards and a specially selected Tele or Bugle Boy in V1 were the way to voice his amps.

You may recall that the initial LTD/Concordes in wood had NOS options and were highly recommended to get most out of amps. Pinkstrat had his K60 tweaked by Ken, one changed resistor value that increased gain slightly (broke up 10% earlier on dial) and a selected Tele for V1.

I'm guessing the amp had Tungsrams 12AX7s and Seimens EL 34s; on the bright side. KF used them, he bought them cheap and swapped them in until he got what he was after.

Putting a Mullard Shield logo in V1 will tame the high end and give the midrange more body. Also think that amps need a good, long burn in so the parts "learn" how to work together, lossen up and make music. The Komets start out very bright and add depth and complexity over years of play.

Clips sound great, missed you at FL Tonefest.
The tubes in the KF Memorial amp are a set of tubes that Ken had hand picked himself for another Express and were graciously donated by a close personal friend of Ken's to the project. It may be that one of the tubes is acentuating the brightness of the amp. Glen had tried swaping tubes between his amp and the Ken06 and each amp sounded better with it's original set of tubes according to him.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

drhulsey wrote: Two thumbs-up to Dana and all those who contributed :D Ken would be PROUD 8)
I agree that I think Ken would be proud. There were a LOT of people who had a part or a hand (literally) in this amp that made it what it is. Hopefully when we get the guilds webpage back up we can post a complete list of all of the contributors. Everyone gave from their heart and some are still giving by donating money for the amp to be shipped from one place to another. This has truly been a work of love and appreciation for a man that was always there to help others along the way.
57gold

Post by 57gold »

So what tubes were they?

Spoke to Glenn at FL Tonefest and he used current production tubes, as I recall. Said he had to as a working musician in face of NOS price inflation.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

57gold wrote:So what tubes were they?

Spoke to Glenn at FL Tonefest and he used current production tubes, as I recall. Said he had to as a working musician in face of NOS price inflation.
I can't be 100% sure, so don't quote me on this but I think they are the ones you guessed, Tunsgrams and Siemens. Maybe Glen can let us know what's in there .
57gold

Post by 57gold »

Great idea to get tubes from KF's stash.

But, from my chats with Ken, he was all about selecting and matching the best compliment of tubes out of his stash that made a particular amp sing.

Like any manufacturer, he had to consider production costs and NOS English and Dutch Tubes were 5 to 10 times more costly than eastern European tubes 20 years ago.

The amp Allynmey and Distortion collaborated on for me is also kinda bright, but Mullard xf2s and a combo of Bugle Boy and Mullards has both warmed its tone up and locked into the magic of the circuit. It continues to come together as it gets played.

Listened to more of the clips....they frickin' scream tone!
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Unbelieveable! Awesome playing and tone!

Shit, now I need to build one ...
Richie

Post by Richie »

57gold wrote:Great idea to get tubes from KF's stash.

But, from my chats with Ken, he was all about selecting and matching the best compliment of tubes out of his stash that made a particular amp sing.

Like any manufacturer, he had to consider production costs and NOS English and Dutch Tubes were 5 to 10 times more costly than eastern European tubes 20 years ago.

The amp Allynmey and Distortion collaborated on for me is also kinda bright, but Mullard xf2s and a combo of Bugle Boy and Mullards has both warmed its tone up and locked into the magic of the circuit. It continues to come together as it gets played.

Listened to more of the clips....they frickin' scream tone!
Very true, finding the right combination of tubes makes alot of difference in how the amp sounds.. Even picking the combination for V1 and V2..they interact like you would see in a marshall type amp. Meaning you not only have to pick a good tube for V1..but you have to find both tubes that compliment each section.
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

I couldn't agree more on the tube selection. It took a while to find the right combination of bugle boy, mullard and tele for my pre's and the amp didn't really do it for me till I put the amperex el-34's in. The one upside to the vintage tubes is that they last considerably longer than what's currently available before you have to retube. Every tube in mine was aquired relatively cheap as all the pre's were pulls. My power tubes were sold to me as good used, but I'm almost sure they were nos. They are still going strong after more than a year of steady gigging and practice. Phil
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I've run old Sylvania 12AX7s in my original Express for a long time now because they help the low end out quite a bit and darken the top.
I tried the same Sylvanias in the Ken amp and they weren't much different than what was in there, and the highs oddly stayed about the same. I also tried the preamp tubes from the Ken amp in my original, and then my amp had less low end ala just a smidge higher low end roll off point. Changing power tubes also didn't do much, though it seemed either amp was a little happier distortion and gain wise with the tubes left alone to each amp.

When I recorded my CD I was probably running old Tung-Sol preamps and Seimens EL34s. Currently I run Sylvania 12AX7s and new Groove Tubes EL34Ms which sound suprisingly good in that amp. I've tried old Bugle Boys in my Express and they are too bright in that amp.

Seems like all the original Trainwreck Express and Liverpool amps I've played sounded quite nice with a starting point of all the knobs on 1/2.
I tend to like the full bright position on the Express amp most of the time as long as the volume is up past half way which tames the bright cap a tad. The bright switch tends to make the clean sound (when you turn down) really clear up and sparkle, and then the top end rounds off a bit when you push things as long as you have the right output tubes and speakers.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Darkbluemurder wrote:Unbelieveable! Awesome playing and tone!

Shit! You've said it!

I also absolutely have to build such an amp for myself now...

... Shit, is that an awesome sounding amp! :D

Btw: Glen, quadrupled congrats from me for your great playing on this clips!

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

novosibir wrote:
Darkbluemurder wrote:Unbelieveable! Awesome playing and tone!

Shit! You've said it!

I also absolutely have to build such an amp for myself now...

... Shit, is that an awesome sounding amp! :D

Btw: Glen, quadrupled congrats from me for your great playing on this clips!

Larry
Hey Larry, he's got a CD available playing the original Express. Check out some of the older threads in the forsale section. He's helping us........tit for tat eh?
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.